Conferences and Meetings Code of Conduct
The International Society of Managing and Technical Editors’ (ISMTE) conferences, meetings and other related events are professional events providing a place to develop professional networks, obtain continuing education and learn about services and products within the industry by individuals with varied and diverse backgrounds. ISMTE is committed to providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment for all conference and meeting participants and ISMTE staff. All participants, including, but not limited to, attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, ISMTE staff, service providers and others are expected to abide by this ISMTE Conferences and Meetings Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct applies to all ISMTE conferences, meetings and related events, including those sponsored by organizations other than ISMTE, but held in conjunction with ISMTE events, in public or private facilities.
This code of conduct will be in force after ratification by the Board of Directors of the ISMTE on the 14th day of June 2018.
We expect all participants to abide by this code of conduct at all conferences, meetings and related events. ISMTE staff and volunteers in leadership positions will enforce this Code throughout the conferences, meetings and related events. We expect cooperation from all participants to help ensure a safe environment for everybody.
All participants, attendees, ISMTE staff, and vendors should treat each other with respect and consideration, valuing diverse views and opinions.
- They should be considerate, respectful, and collaborative with others.
- They should communicate openly with respect for others, critiquing ideas rather than individuals.
- They should avoid personal attacks directed toward other attendees, participants, ISMTE staff, and suppliers/vendors.
- They should be mindful of their surroundings and their fellow participants. ISMTE staff should be alerted if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- They should respect the rules and policies of the meeting venue, hotels, ISMTE contracted facility, or any other venue.
- They should respect and uphold public laws in the area which the conference, meeting or related event is taking place.
Harassment, intimidation, or discrimination in any form will not be tolerated.
- Physical or verbal abuse of any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, ISMTE staff member, service provider, or other meeting guest will not be tolerated.
- Examples of unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to, verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, national origin, inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces or in presentations, or threatening or stalking any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, ISMTE staff member, service provider, or other meeting guest.
- Disruption of talks at oral or poster sessions, in the exhibit hall, or at other events organized by ISMTE at the meeting venue, hotels, or other ISMTE contracted facilities.
- Any other conduct deemed inappropriate and/or that may jeopardize the success of the conference, meeting or related event, ISMTE’s reputation and goodwill, or the positive experience of any other attendee.
Anyone requested to cease unacceptable behavior will be expected to comply immediately.
- ISMTE staff, ISMTE volunteer in a leadership position or security may take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including immediate removal from the meeting or the conference without warning or refund.
- ISMTE reserves the right to prohibit attendance by anyone violating this code of conduct at any future meeting.
- For repeated or flagrant violations membership in ISMTE may be cancelled or suspended by action of a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors per the ISMTE Bylaws.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior or have witnessed any such behavior, please immediately notify an ISMTE staff member or volunteer in a leadership position.
- Notification should be done by contacting an ISMTE staff person or volunteer in a leadership position on site or by emailing your concern to info@ISMTE.org.
- Anyone experiencing or witnessing behavior that constitutes an immediate or serious threat to public safety is advised to locate a facility house phone and ask for security or contact the local authorities.
Any questions or comments regarding this Code should be directed to ISMTE’s Executive Director.