ISMTE Participates in CSE Trade Show
Monday, May 20, 2019
Posted by: Jim Booth
ISMTE exhibited at CSE (May 6-7) and it was very successful. The opening of the NA conference registration coincided with the meeting, so we were able to encourage people to visit the website to view the program and register.
There were over 100 new attendees this year at CSE, and it was a good opportunity to meet with them, especially those who are new to the field or early in their careers. We also spoke with a number of international attendees. For example:
· Student interning with a journal at her university who was interested in publishing and we were able to provide information about ISMTE and the industry
· Editor from Africa who had recently started a new journal with just herself and a managing editor.
Many people we talked with were familiar with ISMTE and/or had attended a conference or were interested in attending the Durham conference. A lot of visitors to the booth asked “What is different about ISMTE [compared to CSE]?” and we focused our pitch on the following:
· Members are those involved in the day-to-day operations of running a journal
· Provides practical resources and best practices
· Monthly publication, EON
· Discussion Forum and benefits of getting advice from members from around the world (and a plug for being the International Society for Managing and Technical Editors)
· Networking/community especially since many editorial offices are often secluded/remote and you’re meeting people who know what you’re talking about