- Core Competency Survey 2016
- For New Authors
- Discussion Forum
The International Society of Managing and Technical Editors (ISMTE) is committed to protecting the privacy of its members and customers. ISMTE recognizes the interest of its members and customers in the confidentiality of their personal information. ISMTE only maintains personal information that is relevant to ISMTE activities and seeks to maintain accurate, complete, and timely information. ISMTE is incorporated in the United States of America (US) and is subject to US legislative requirements around data protection.
The security of personal information is important to ISMTE. ISMTE maintains all personal data with technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect against loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification, and improper disclosure. No computer system or information can ever be fully protected against every possible hazard. ISMTE provides reasonable and appropriate security controls to protect personal information against foreseeable hazards.
ISMTE maintains member databases that contain mailing, billing, and member profile information, as well as a record of each member's product and service purchases. ISMTE also maintains databases of member and non-member purchases and of registrations for conferences and other ISMTE activities. The information in these databases is used by authorized ISMTE staff members to process orders; mail invoices, purchases, renewal notices, and announcements; respond to member inquiries; and help us improve our offerings. Member records are maintained as long as an individual is an ISMTE member and for at least ten years following a membership lapse. Purchases and credit card transactions are retained for as long as appropriate to meet contractual, tax, or auditing needs.
All personally identifiable information contained in ISMTE membership, purchase, and registration databases is treated as confidential and will be used only for the purposes stated in this policy, except where required by law.
Just like any other record keeper, ISMTE may be required to disclose personal information in response to valid legal process. This includes a search warrant, subpoena, or court order. Disclosures may also be appropriate to protect ISMTE's legal rights or during emergencies if physical safety is believed to be at risk. These disclosures are possible although unlikely.
ISMTE members may access the information contained in their membership records and correct and update their member profile and mailing information by logging in to www.ISMTE.org and selecting manage profile.
In order to update your postal tolerance, you will need to contact ISMTE's Member Services Department by phone: +1.630.433.4513, fax: +1.630.563.9181, or email: info@ISMTE.org.
1. "Must Have" messages that help to service ISMTE members including answers to member questions; acknowledgments of the receipt of membership applications, renewal notices, marketing messages about the society and other ISMTE purchase confirmations/receipts.
2. The ISMTE Newsletter and occasional "Member Update" announcements about ISMTE services that we believe to be of some importance to members. These announcements are short, straightforward messages that contain pointers to online resources where members can explore the information more fully.
3. Email messaging that is part of a program for which the member has registered (e.g. the ISMTE Discussion Forum).
4. Email distribution lists targeted at ISMTE groups (e.g. by region, local group, etc.). Only ISMTE headquarters staff can create and support "ISMTE.org" email distribution lists. All ISMTE created and supported email distribution lists have "unsubscribe" instructions.
POSTAL MAIL POLICIES